Donate


Wednesday, May 08, 2013

Dr Keith Simpson: The man who made dead people talk


This piece of mine appears in the Daily Express.

JOHN GEORGE HAIGH, the Acid Bath Murderer, was confident he would not be found guilty of killing Olive Durand- Deacon because the police would never find her body.
How can you prove murder if there is no body?” he boasted.

But the serial killer had reckoned without Home Office pathologist Dr Keith Simpson.

You can read the whole article here.  And if in the UK, don't miss 'Murder on the Home Front', at 9pm on ITV on Thursday. 

2 comments:

Undergroundman said...

Interesting piece.

I'd love you to write something on the grim killings of Denis Nilsen whose victims were those who simply nobody knew existed in many cased. They were just dragged into his London flats and murdered because he was so lonely. Hence Brian Master's classic study "Killing for Company".

There is also something quintessential 1980s about the Muswell Hill Murders-those drifters were often those homeless or itinerant, tryng to find jobs in Thatcher's New Britain. Bizarrely, Nilsen was working at the Denmark St Job Centre as a helpful civil servant.

What do you reckon ?

I'd try it myself and try to get my articles accepted but I lack my criminological literature here in Poland. I might write something on this utterly grim story in that grim period in the summer when I return to England !



Neil Clark said...

Hi Karl,
Many thanks, I was going to do something on Nilsen, agree with you that there was something quintessentially 80s about those terrible crimes.