Donate


Saturday, March 17, 2007

A Star is Born

What a vintage Cheltenham Festival! I hope you managed to finish ahead of the bookies; I just about did thanks to Burntoak Boy (did you ever see an easier Coral Cup winner?) Taranis and Idole First, but my profit could have been greater if Heltornic and Don't Push It hadn't crashed out two fences from home when looking possible winners........
There's so much to look back on and savour from the week's action: an action packed Champion Chase won in fine style by Voy Por Ustedes, Sublimity's success in the Champion Hurdle, a wonderful three-way finish to the William Hill Handicap Chase, and Paddy Brennan's terrific ride on Inglis Drever in the World Hurdle. And to cap it all, a tremendous performance by Kauto Star in yesterday's Gold Cup. Is Paul Nicholls' charge 'The New Arkle'? As Charlie Methven writes in today's First Post, he'll have to win a couple more Gold Cups before he can be put in the same category as the legendary Irish chaser.
But I'd certainly put Kauto Star on a par with Desert Orchid, the greatest chaser I've seen in my lifetime.
How about you?

1 comment:

Shahid said...

How could I reach you via email? I'm a media activist in the US with a link I'd like to submit.

Shahid Buttar
Shahid.Buttar@gmail.com
www.shahidbuttar.com